Sunday, September 9, 2012

Why college ?






Well at first coming to college was never a "serious" thought of mine. Yes, I wanted to come but I never thought I could have the determination or self-motivation to complete assignments on time. Once I saw the look on my mother's face after being the first one of her children to actually graduate high school, I knew the decision to come to college was a "no brainer". This is when alot of thought into what I wanted to be or what I was even interested in. I knew nursing was something that I was interested in, and children was another one of my interests.


Also, another reason of mine to go to college was just to get out of my house; prove to people that I was actually independent and capable to doing things on my own. Being the only girl of four boys I found that having to prove myself became sort of a ritual. I guess really my choice to come to college was to mainly make my mother and family proud or course, but to also prove to them and others that I didnt need everything done for me. That at some point of time in my life I was going to actually have to grown up and start the whole living on my own process with or without them.





                                          
 

4 comments:

  1. Myshia, I never thought i could get stuff done on time either. In high school I was such a procrastinator. I always told my parents that I worked better under pressure. But here I can't do that. Because if I do that then things will start piling up and then i'll get really stressed. Getting out of the house was one of my reasons to go to college as well. My mother kept telling saying to me, you know, I wont be there to help you, and I wont be there standing over your shoulder telling you to get your assignments done. I also wont be there to wake you up in the morning. I wanted to prove to her that I could indeed get my assignments done and that I could wake up with an alarm clock (several actually). Like your self I want to prove myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I stated on Camera's blog, I respect the fact that you are both passionate about majoring in nursing and working with children. College is a big step and I had the same idea, thinking often about being self-motivated and determined. Over the past couple of weeks, doing work is really starting to settle with me. We just have to continue to do our best and focus. Good luck with your goals and work hard to achieve them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that going to college is a great way of proving to people that you can do it and be responsible for yourself. You are no long able to rely on your parents to be there to help with things everyday, but it's not like you are completely on your own. In high school I also wasn't always motivated to do my work and I procrastinated on a lot of assignments but I think that coming to college not only did I want to prove to other people that I could do it, I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In dependency is a great reason to come to college in my opinion. I've learned to maintain my own schedule and I've matured more since I've came here.

    ReplyDelete