Sunday, September 23, 2012

Is College Worth it ?


                                                    photo credit: kumwai via photopin cc

   Do you want to make something of yourself ? Sometimes I find myself asking this exact question. Although college is making a HUGE dent in my wallet and my parent's wallet, I can't say that I see myself anywhere else. I view this as an opportunity to strengthen my learning skills and teach me at least some of what it will be like when I'm on my own. College not only expands your knowledge further than what you have learned in high school, but it also creates a path for better career decisions. I would like to become a nurse so I know my only way to further that dream would be to actually finish college. It may seem as though your whole reasoning for being there is pointless or maybe even a waste of time. In "Professor: Value of College Extends Beyond Paycheck" by NPR staff, it states,
          "Rose, the author of Why School? and other books, cites the idea of intellectual growth — "not just learning things to make a living, but also learning things to enable you to do things with      your life, to enable you to find interests and pursuits that may in some way or another expand the way we see things."
 

        
       College gives students a chance to really make something of themselves. To actually see what they are capable of doing. It will also challenge the thoughts that they had during high school the dreams that they set for themselves years earlier. It could be looked at as a big test of endurance.
 
 
                                                 photo credit: ser g/o via photopin cc

In "Live and Learn: Why We Have College", Louis Maynard states, "College is, essentially, a four-year intelligence test. Students have to demonstrate intellectual ability over time and across a range of subjects. If they’re sloppy or inflexible or obnoxious—no matter how smart they might be in the I.Q. sense—those negatives will get picked up in their grades. As an added service, college also sorts people according to aptitude." I, myself, wasn't the best student in high school so I can see this as my opportunity to try and make something better of myself. To prove that not every student comes to college just to party or just to waste their parent's money. In " Don't Miss The College Forest for the Career Trees", Bobby Fong explains "College can't serve you well without challenging you to integrate information and skills in ways you haven't before, and to apply the results to problems that may not yield clear and simple answers." I feel as though I always have to push myself to complete things, like assignments. I want to see can I really go through with this independent life. To prove to myself that I am capable of making it.


                                             photo credit: marie-ll via photopin cc

In the article,"Actually, College is Very Much Worth it", it basically tells you that college graduates are more likely to be in jobs with better benefits, further widening the gap between graduates and non-graduates. I don't want to spend years in college and end up with an underpaid, unappreciated job. I don't want the time and pain that I have invested into school to go to waste, so it's almost a priority for me to finish college and do something better, something great with my life. This will show that all my hard work actually paid off somehow. This is what college is good for !!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't want the time and money that has been put into going to school to be wasted. I want to do something great with my life and I feel that college will help me to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! True college isn't an option in my family but I couldn't see myself any other place! College has so many positive aspects that I teaches you many things ranging from responsibility to dedication and commitment! It's just up to you to decide what you'll learn and gain from the experience.

    ReplyDelete