Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Big Picture !

       
     For the Capstone Project I chose to explain better ways for students and professors to communicate. Have you ever e-mailed a teacher an important question that you needed the answer back to as soon as possible ? It may have taken them days or maybe even weeks to write you back. I went about this project with the hope of finding new methods of communication that would help out my school and maybe other schools.
       As I started to do research I found that many of the things that were on websites were things that my school was already trying like email or blackboard. Although we are already doing these things I found new ways for us to go about using them. Using e-mail really isn't an effective way of communication because most of the time the student and the teachers are never on the same page. E-mails may not represent clear thought or analysis to go with the tone, organization, immediacy, and presentation of a message. When sending an e-mail if the student needs a fast answer back they should include the word “ urgent” in their subject line. Also, the professors should start a class page of the questions they have been asked with the answers just in case there are other students with the same problems. I also discovered that a good way to communicate is to actually have any understanding of each others needs, both teachers and students. Both students and professors should understand that's although their schedule may not be busy someone else's schedule can be.

                                                    photo credit: Enokson via photopin cc

   I discovered that college education requires professors to train students in a variety of academic, social, professional, and behavioral situations. In "The Seven Principles of Collection", it had many ways to help the communication process. A reflection journal could be made by the students to reflect on their feelings and thoughts about the class sessions to give the professors a feel of the things that the students think are working and not working in their classroom, as a result of them writing the reflection journal the professor responds. This would also be a good time for students to include any questions about upcoming projects or assignments. Better office hours would also help the process of communication, students would have more time to ask their professors questions or just to meet face-to-face with them. Teachers should also use online chat hours to stay in touch with their students online.
 When I started to create my project I just wanted people to understand the communication levels they are using now, and see which ways they can improve them. I used a tri-fold and titled it communication. I then, broke the poster into two different section; one being the Students side and the other, being the Teacher's side. I displayed ways that the communication between the two could change to improve the communication methods. I designed the poster in an easy manner so it would be easy to understand and the purpose of the poster would be clear. I used big bright letters to grab someone's attention.
                                                    photo credit: bellmor via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment